Did you know that there are more than 2000 species of fireflies?
The Lampyridae are a family of insects in the beetle order Coleoptera. They are winged beetles, and commonly called fireflies or lightning bugs for their conspicuous use of bioluminescence during twilight to attract mates or prey.
SIGN-UP 4 Firefly Watch | Your observations can help scientists trying to save our disappearing #fireflies #science https://legacy.mos.org/fireflywatch/
Citizen Science Project
Firefly Watch combines an annual summer evening ritual with scientific research.
- Join a network of volunteers.
- Observe your own backyard.
- Track your progress online and interact with fellow Citizen Scientists.
- Help scientists map fireflies found in New England and beyond.
- No specific scientific training required.
Help save our fireflies from disappearing. Please sign-up and don't forget to share!