Wednesday, January 11, 2017
Life on Earth is Dying. Thousands of Species Cease to Exist | Global Research - Centre for Research on Globalization
The human onslaught to destroy life on Earth is unprecedented in Earth’s history. Planet Earth is now experiencing its sixth mass extinction event and Homo sapiens is the cause. Moreover, this mass extinction event is accelerating and is so comprehensive in its impact that the piecemeal measures being taken by the United Nations, international agencies and governments constitute a tokenism that is breathtaking in the extreme.
And it is no longer the case that mainly ‘invisible’ species are vanishing: those insects, amphibians and small animals about which you had never even heard, assuming they have been identified and given a name by humans.
You and I are on the brink of driving to extinction some of the most iconic species alive today. For a photo gallery of threatened species, some of which are ‘critically endangered’, see ‘World’s wildlife being pushed to the edge by humans – in pictures’.
If you want to read more about some aspects of the extinction threat, you can do so in these recent reports: ‘World Wildlife Crime Report: Trafficking in protected species’ and ‘2016 Living Planet Report’ which includes these words: ‘The main statistic from the report … shows a 58% decline between 1970 and 2012. This means that, on average, animal populations are roughly half the size they were 42 years ago.’
Animal Liberation Links
- 'Dying to Learn': Exposing the supply of dogs and cats to higher education.
- Animal Concerns Community
- Animal Liberation Front
- Animal Rights
- Animal Rights Information and News Resource Blog - Companion Blog for www.geari.org
- ARCO's Abolitionists - A Vegan Forum • Index page
- For the Love of the Dog - Action Alerts
- Friends of Animals
- GAIA Global Action in the Interest of Animals
- Global Action Network - Living Cruelty Free
- Go Cruelty Free
- In Defense of Animals
- Moon Bears
- National Anti-Vivisection Society
- Pet-Abuse.Com - homepage
- SHARK - Animal Cruelty Investigations and Campaigns
- Total Liberation
- Undercover TV - exposing factory farming and the mistreatment of animals